Local Associations Alpha
The results of your selection are displayed below. Additional search options are provided on the right to help you find what you need.
- Babe Ruth League, Iowa City
- This group was organized in 1954, affiliated with state
and national organization. Provides summer and fall baseball for youth aged 13-18.
- Backyard Abundance
- Backyard Abundance is a nonprofit that helps build vibrant communities by creating beautiful, resilient landscapes that provide healthy food and habitat.
- Ballroom/Social Dance Club
- Organized 2003. Offers two monthly opportunities for Ballroom/Social dancing at Eagles Lodge and Old Brick. Call for details.
- Bar Association, Johnson County
- Professional association for attorneys practicing in Johnson County, offering educational support to its members and offering the community education on its legal rights and advice on obtaining legal services. Has a committee structure which includes a fee arbitration committee.
- Barbershop Chorus, Old Capitol
- Principal activities include singing for local group as
a chorus or a quartet. Local chapter of the Society for Preservation and
Encouragement of Barbershop Quartet Singing in America - Not-For-Profit.
- Baseball, Boys, Iowa City
- This group was organized in 1958. Principal activities: teaching baseball and sportsmanship.
Adding batting cages in 2012
- Beekeepers, East Central Iowa
- Affiliated with the Iowa Beekeepers Association.
- Best Buddies, City High
- Social group with one on one activites. We pair students with intellectual disabilites with their non-disabled peers and those buddy pairs do a myriad of activities together, both at school and in the community.
We have a student President and a Buddy Director. We provide one group activity per month and some examples of those include dances, parties and outdoor events like the U of I high ropes course. Our chapter also does one or two group service learning projects each year.
- Beta Sigma Phi, Laureate Alpha
- Support of State Project (Ronald MacDonald House for 5 years), Cancer Research, International Endowment Fund, Iowa City care Center, Crisis Center. Assist with facility of equipment for schools. Domestic Abuse, Habitat for Humanity, Arthritis Foundation, Lupus Foundation, and Scleroderma Foundation.
- Beta Sigma Phi, Zeta Pi Chapter
- We are a small local chapter of a larger non-collegiate
sorority, Beta Sigma Phi, that provides a social, cultural & service outlet
for our members. Organized 1960's.
- Bibliophiles, Iowa
- Organized 2002.
- Bicyclists of Iowa City, Inc.
- Organized 1976. Associated with the Bicycle Federation, Adventure cycling,and the League of American Bicyclists. Activities include year-round organized bike rides, annual Century ride, bicycle education, bicycle rights legislation, and environmental concerns relating to bicycling in and around Johnson County, RAGBRAI. Board meetings at 7 PM at various locations, currently at ICPL. Newsletter with ride and meeting info can be found at local bike shops and on website. General meetings are in Feb and Oct, the 4th Wed; in April, the 4th Tues; In July the Tues. before the beginning of RAGBRAI. are in
February, and October - 4th Wednesday April, - 4th Tuesday, July - Tuesday before the beginning of RAGBRAI Board meetings are usually the third Tuesday of each month
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Johnson County
- Big Brothers Big Sisters was founded in 1975 to provide positive adult
companionship for children. There are three options for volunteers; all
involve mentoring children. One option is the Community Based Program in
which a volunteer makes a one year time commitment, spending some time
each week or some time every other week with a child. Another option is
School Buddies. In this program a volunteers sees a child at school,
same day, same time each week for about an hour. The third option is the
Academic Mentoring Program. This program is similar to the School
Buddies program except that it has a stronger academic component. All
matches, either community based or school based are supported by
professional staff. No fee is charged to clients or volunteers.
Volunteers report the following results for children matched at least
six months, improvement in self confidence, improved attitude in school,
improved relationships with family.
- Bike Library
- The Bike Library is donation-based and volunteer-run. We
provide good, used bicycles to anyone who wants one. Patrons place a
deposit on a bike to use for six months. If the patron returns the bike within the six months, the deposit is refunded minus damages. If the patron wants to keep the bike, the Bike Library keeps the deposit after
the six months. No more needs to be done.
Best way to contact us is to stop by during retail hours, 10-1 on Saturdays. Donations can also be dropped off on Repair nights (6-8 pm Tuesdays and Thursdays), and Salvage night (7-9 pm Wednesdays).
- Bird Club, Iowa City
- ICBC holds field trips to area woodlands, marshes and other natural areas to view birds. Birdwatchers of all skill levels are welcome. Regular meetings feature interesting programs about birds and other natural history topics. Special events include the Christmas Bird Count (mid-Dec.), fall Hawk Watch (Sept.), Spring Migration Count (mid-May), and the Butterfly Count (mid-July). ICBC publishes Eastern Iowa Birdwatch, a newsletter, 3 times a year. Dues are $15 annually. Affiliated with Iowa Ornithologists' Union.
- Birthright Of Iowa City
- Emergency pregnancy service offering friendship, confidential support, and free pregnancy tests. They are staffed with volunteers who have a love and concern for women who are dealing with unplanned pregnancies. Office located east of Mailboxes, Etc (corner of Burlington and Linn Streets). Enter the large brick building from the long sidewalk, to the rear near the parking area. Enter LAST door, downstairs and past the lobby.
- Blind, National Federation of, Old Capitol Chpt
- The NFB is a consumer group that works for the behalf of the betterment for all blind people. We are the blind working for the blind.
- Bluffwood Neighborhood Assoc.
- Bowling Association Iowa City
- Principal activities: bowling.
- Boy Scouts of America/Hawkeye Area Council
- Organized since 1910. Associated with World Scouting and Boy Scouts of America. Activities include camping, physical fitness, career study, character development, service projects, and citizenship training. In Johnson County there are over 2,000 youth members and 500 adult leaders.
- Breast Cancer, Continuing After
- 40-60 minute program, support group meeting follows. Mercy Medical Plaza is located at 540 E.. Jefferson St. Groups purpose is support and health education for women who have breast cancer. Established in 1991 by women who had experienced breast cancer. 1-800-358-2767. Website lists programs
- Breastfeeding And More
- Weekly group for breastfeeding families. Expecting parents are also welcome. No fee. Group meets Thursdays, noon to 2 p.m., McAuley room, Mercy Medical Plaza 1. Call Mercy On Call for specific dates.
- Breath of Fresh Air Support Group
- Provides educational presentations, mutual problem solving, emotional and social support. Also provides breathing retraining and coping skills for living with breathing problems
Meetings held in Mercy Medical Plaza-Scanlon Room, 540 East Jefferson St. 52245. Does not meet Jan., Feb., July, or Sept. 2 PM meeting time in spring and fall; 7 PM other months. Call to confirm.
- Bridge, Iowa City, Duplicate
- Group's function is to offer social, recreational, and competitive duplicate bridge in Iowa City. Newcomers and visitors welcome. Each game holds at least one charity event each year. For information on social bridge in Iowa City contact Flora Downing, 3231 Lake Forest Ave., Iowa City IA 351-6928 firstname.lastname@example.org. For information on Iowa City bridge teachers contact Bob Otto, PO Box 2298, Iowa City IA 52244-2298 email@example.com
- Business Club, Iowa City
- The Iowa City Business Club is primarily a networking and business referral group. ICBC members strive to constantly think about ways that we can assist one another's businesses.
Search by Keyword
Browse By Letter
Select a letter from the options above to browse an alphabetical listing of local associations.
Match By Topic
Many of the organizations in our database have been keyed to specific topics of interest. You can select the types of activities you're interested in to see a shorter list of associations that fit those categories.
[Search Associations By Topic]
Get your group included!
Iowa City Public Library
123 South Linn
Iowa City, IA 52240
For more information on the Association Database, contact John Hiett at 319.887.6032 or firstname.lastname@example.org.