Local Associations Alpha
The results of your selection are displayed below. Additional search options are provided on the right to help you find what you need.
- Safe Kids Coalition, Johnson County
- We staff information tables at various community events. we sell bike helmets, provide information on various injury prevention issues concerning children. Active speakers bureau, car seat installation information provided. conduct carseat safety
- Sailing Club, Iowa
- Promotes and teaches the sport of sailing, while offering University of Iowa students, faculty, staff and community members access to, and appreciation of, aquatic activities.
Provides funding for travel for the undergraduate racing team
- Salvation Army
- Principal activities; Worship services, youth Character Building programs, services to the family, summer camps, Christmas toy drive/distribution, Thanksgiving boxes, emergency disaster service, gas vouchers, bus tickets, clothing vouchers, emergency assistance, visits to shut-ins in homes, hospitals, and nursing homes. Organized in 1865. Publication: The War Cry.
- Sand Prairie Preservation, Concerned Citizens for
- Organized January, 2002.
- Saving Private Ta Ta's
- Walk 60 miles in 3 days in conjunction with the Susan G Komen for the Cure - breast cancer research fundraising
- School District Foundation, Iowa City Community
- ICCSD Foundation generates funds & assists others in raising funds for the Iowa City Community School District K-12 public schools.
- SCORE #449
- Currently office is open only by appointment. Office phone 338-1662 calls recorded. SCORE provides free and confidential mentoring, coaching and counseling to existing, new, and startup businesses.
- Sertoma Club, Old Capitol
- Old Capitol Sertoma Club holds a fund raising breakfast at the Iowa City Airport the last Sunday in August. Sponsors activities of the Wendell Johnson Speech and Hearing Center. Sponsor children with speech and hearing disabilities in summer programs at UI. Give assistance to children with hearing disabilities to attend appropriate camps in Iowa. Provides hearing aid assistance to children in need when parents are unable to afford the full cost of the equipment.
- Service Employees International Union
- Organized locally 1999. Organizing workers to bargain, bargaining collectively, member service.
- Sexual Assault Response Team, Johnson County
- SART is a multidisciplinary team (medical personnel, law enforcement, advocates) to meet medical/legal needs of the sexual assault victim. Sexual assault victims can get a medical evidentiary exam at both UIHC and Mercy Hospitals at no charge. Based on individual needs, preventive medications may be available. To receive services, call the RVAP Rape Crisis Line 335-6000.
- Offers parent to parent support and literature concerning miscarriage, stillbirth, or death of a young child. Also available are parent-to parent contact and education programs.
- Shelter House
- Providing shelter, basic and transitional resources, while encouraging self-sufficiency, to any person in our community who is homeless. Daily sign-up (also referred to as "wait list" at 6 PM. Founded 1983.
Moved to new facility at 429 Southgate Ave on November 12, 2010. Shelter phone is 351-0326
- Sherlock Holmes Society/The Younger Stamfords
- Considers issues related to Sherlock Holmes stories, his life and times. Enjoys each others' company. Organized in 1988. Affiliated with the Baker St. Irregulars. A Scion society.
- Shimek Neighborhood Assn.
- Shrine Club, Iowa City
- Activities include raising money to support Shrine Crippled Children and Burn Hospitals; examples include Iowa Shrine Bowl Game.
- Support group for children who have a sibling with a disablitly.
- Sierra Club, Iowa City Area Group
- To preserve, protect and enjoy the great outdoors. Quarterly meetings explore topics pertaining to preserving the environment.
- Sigma Theta Tau - Gamma Chapter
- Organized 1929. Associated with international Sigma Theta Tau. Honor society of nursing. Group sponsors educational and research reports and programs, sponsors research with grants, and networks with other chapters and professional organizations.
- Organized 10/05. A community gathering from various churches and affiliations. We come together to encourage one another, and show love and support to one another.
- Skating Club, Hawkeye
- Organized for the development of fellowship among figure skaters through the promotion of skill development, education, and
- Snowdrifters, Inc.
- To promote snowmobiling and outdoor winter recreational activities. We also volunteer for other activities that involve trails and the outdoors. Best contacted thru website. Organized early 1970's.
- Soccer Club, Alliance
- Affiliated with the Iowa Soccer Association. Competitive soccer club for youth.
- Social Workers, National Association of, Southeast
- Organized 35 years. Monthly meetings are held for information and interaction for social workers, both practicing and students.
- Softball, Inc., Iowa City Girls
- Purpose is to organize and operate five softball leagues for girls from Kindergarten through 12th grade. League play from April to mid-July
- Soil & Water Conservation District
- The mission of the Johnson County Soil and Water Conservation District is to clear our water by treating every acre with respect.
- Songbird Project, Inc.; Johnson County
- The Songbird Project organizes and conducts educational programs on birds, bird life, and bird habitat for school students and the general public with special emphasis on increasing awareness of the role birds play in healthy and well balanced ecosystems. The Project also conducts field programs to involve people in direct efforts to enhance bird populations and habitat in Johnson County.
A special project is the restoration of Althea R. Sherman's
(1853-1943) Chimney Swifts' Tower. In cooperation with the Cedar County Historical Society, the tower will be located (along with a museum highlighting the Sherman legacy) at the Bickett-Rate Memorial Preserve near Buchanan, Iowa. The tower has a Certification of Eligibility to be on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Althea R. Sherman Project is a separate committee of the Songbird Project. Barbara Boyle is the Project Director. Their website is:
- South Pointe Neighborhood Association
- Special Recreation for disAbled International
- To Serve and to Advocate Special Play and Recreation
Globally for People with Disabilities: Play for Infants and Children and
Recreation for Youth, Adults, and Seniors. * Focus of services: people with disabilities or who live in the Community, or who are in Treatment and Rehabilitation, or who are in Institutions and Residential Care. * Services: Advisory/Consultation, Awards, Employment Counseling, Professional In-Service Education, Public Information, Publishing, Research, Resource
Information and Referral, International Technical Assistance,
International Information and Referral. Special Projects: * SRDI Global Vision Project: "Global Vision of Rehabilitation and Recreation for
People with Disabilities in the 21 Century Project," conducted by SRDI.
* SRDI Stop Fireworks Injuries, Disabilities, and Deaths Campaign:
Prevention of deaths, injuries, disabilities, and public damage caused by Common, Class C, Street Fireworks. * WEBSITE: Global Vision of
Rehabilitation and Recreation for People with Disabilities in the 21st Century, www.globavisionproject.org Email: 75 articles, 300 pp.
* WEBSITE: American Stop Fireworks Victimization and Ban Common
fireworks Campaign. myweb.uiowa.edu/jnesbitt/fireworks * WEBSITE: ERIC:
>Special Recration for disABLED. www.eric.edu.gov, >search using author
>keywords, "Nesbitt, John A." for 22 documents, 2,892 pp.
- SportAbility of Iowa
SportAbility of Iowa offers competitive and recreational sports for people of all ages with physical and visual impairments throughout eastern Iowa. We believe everyone has the right to enjoy sport and recreation with their friends and family regardless of their disability, and therefore promote inclusive participation in all of our programming. In addition, we offer special programming for injured/disabled veterans and their families. Adaptive equipment and instruction is always provided, and reduced fees for those with a limited ability to pay are available. SportAbility of Iowa is also a Paralympic Sport Club, acting as a vital link to the US Paralympics for aspiring athletes
- Staff Council, University of Iowa
- Represents all University of Iowa non-bargaining Professional and scientific staff members and non-bargaining merit supervisory exempt/confidential staff, to the administration and the Board of Regents. Phone 335-3600 fax 353-2273
- Standing By Words Center
- Stepping Stones Preschool
- Prepare 3-5 year olds for kindergarten socially and academically.
- String Orchestra, Iowa City Community
- Playing music together and providing a free concert at the Englert Civic Theatre. We also showcase works by contemporary Iowa composers, and provide a quality music-group experience for serious amateur musicians in the area. Rehearsal locations vary but have recently been held at the Preucil School of Music. Concerts are usually in March or April, and November. We sometimes do some sight-reading in the summer months.
- Stroke Group
- Provides educational presentations, discussion, mutual emotional and social support, and interaction for persons living with a stroke and their families. Started in 1987. Meetings held in 1st floor conference room. Easy access, valet service. Www.mercyiowacity.org lists meetings.
- Successful Living
- Provide supportive housing, on-site support services, and employment opportunities for low income, homeless, and people with mental illness.
- Suicide Survivor's Support Group
- The Suicide Survivor's Support Group is designed to provide support to those who have lost a friend or loved one to suicide. The support group meetings provide a chance to share and the opportunity to listen to others who have had a similiar experiance.
- Summer of the Arts
- Summer of the Arts is a non-profit umbrella organization whose mission is to build community by bringing people together in the Iowa City Area to experience, learn about, and enjoy the arts. Our primary programming focuses on a variety of summer festivals including the Iowa Arts Festival, Iowa City Jazz Festival, Friday Night Concert Series, Free Movie Series, Saturday Night Concert Series and MusicIC.
- SW Estates Neighborhood Assoc.
- Swedish Club of Iowa City
- Meet to learn about Sweden and Swedish tradition. Celebrate major Swedish holidays: St. Lucia & Midsummer. Meetings are about Swedish culture and language: Crafts, Cooking, Cinema, spoken Swedish, Literature and Art. One social meeting each fall.
- Systems Unlimited Inc.
- Services include:
A. providing supported community living services to children and adults with
disabilities in their own home, in rental units or environments owned by Systems Unlimited, some common areas of support are self care, daily living
skills, community skills, social skills and communication skills.
B. providing supported employment, a day program and facility-based
vocational services for adults with disabilities.
C. providing individual, family and group services to children and families. Services include individual and group therapy, therapeutic services to children with serious emotional difficulties and skill building interventions used to reduce children's behaviors that have been identified by the family or the school.
Search by Keyword
Browse By Letter
Select a letter from the options above to browse an alphabetical listing of local associations.
Match By Topic
Many of the organizations in our database have been keyed to specific topics of interest. You can select the types of activities you're interested in to see a shorter list of associations that fit those categories.
[Search Associations By Topic]
Get your group included!
Iowa City Public Library
123 South Linn
Iowa City, IA 52240
For more information on the Association Database, contact John Hiett at 319.887.6032 or email@example.com.