Guidelines for Community Displays
The purpose of the Library's display facilities is to increase public awareness of the Library's resources and to fulfill its mission to promote intellectual freedom, life-long learning and the enhancement of cultural and leisure activities.
The Iowa City Public Library provides display facilities for public use. Displays must meet one of the following criteria:
- Highlight current issues, events or other subjects of public interest.
- Display high quality original art, crafts, photographs or writings created by Iowa artists or contained in traveling exhibits.
- Explain the activities of, or interest to, local organizations and agencies engaged in educational, recreational, cultural, intellectual, or charitable activities.
- Individuals or groups in Johnson County are eligible to have displays.
- Reservations are made through the Display Assistant. Call 319.887.6008
- A single group or individual is limited to one display in a 12-month period.
- Displays may not block or cause congestion to study areas, walkways, stairs or exits.
Public Display Areas Within the Library
- North Wall (Second floor near the Page Station, 9' tall and 18' wide)
- Reference Kiosk (Second floor near the Reference Desk)
Display Unit Component Information
- Unit elements are stackable, cylindrical kiosk modules, measuring 101" around.
- Maximum height of total kiosk elements may not exceed 90" (7.5').
- Pamphlet holders for handouts are also available (specify size).
- Units available (101" circumference):
- 12" tall base
- 36" tall base
- 12" tall bulletin board (cork is 10.5" tall)
- 36" tall bulletin board (cork is 34.5" tall)
- 14" book display
- 36" acrylic top
Groups or individuals initiating the display must supply labor and/or equipment needed to prepare, mount, provide signage and install the display.
The display space/unit must be left in the same condition in which it was found when installing the display. Unless materials and mounting hardware are removed as scheduled without resulting damage to display space/unit, you may be refused future use and/or required to pay for clean up and damages.
Recommended mounting materials include thumbtacks, push pins, staples or brads. Please DO NOT USE double sided foam tape, sticky labels, nails, pins, or tape.
All displays must include the name, address, and telephone number for the group of individual responsible for the display.