The purpose of the Library's display facilities is to increase public awareness of the Library's resources and to fulfill its mission to promote intellectual freedom, life-long learning and the enhancement of cultural and leisure activities.
The Iowa City Public Library provides display facilities for public use. Displays must meet one of the following criteria:
- Highlight current issues, events or other subjects of public interest.
- Display high quality original art, crafts, photographs or writings created by Iowa artists or contained in traveling exhibits.
- Explain the activities of, or interest to, local organizations and agencies engaged in educational, recreational, cultural, intellectual, or charitable activities.
In addition, displays must adhere to the Display Policy
- Individuals or groups in Johnson County are eligible to have displays.
- Reservations are made through the Community & Access Services Department. Call 319.887.6025
- A single group or individual is limited to one display in a 12-month period.
- Displays may not block or cause congestion to walkways.
Public Display Areas Within the Library
- North Wall (Second floor near the Page Station, 9' tall and 18' wide)
- Reference Kiosk (Second floor. See Display Unit Component Information below)
Groups or individuals initiating the display must supply labor and/or equipment needed to prepare, mount, provide signage and install the display.
The display space/unit must be left in the same condition in which it was found when installing the display. Staff will remove displays at the end of the schedule period if not already removed by the individual or group responsible for the display.
Recommended mounting materials include thumbtacks, push pins, staples or brads. Please DO NOT USE double sided foam tape, sticky labels, nails, pins, or tape.
All displays must include the name, address, and telephone number for the group or individual responsible for the display.
Display Unit Component InformationT Walls:
- Resealable surface for staples and pushpins.
- Hanging art system with rail and wire to hang framed pieces.
- All units have three surfaces. 46" wide x 64" tall on the top of the T Wall, 54" wide x 64" tall along each side, and 19" wide x 64" tall on each shorter inside of the T Wall.
- Groups may reserve one or two T Wall units, based on availability.
- Mix and match to meet your needs.
- Typical configuration is tall base, book round, short topper.
- Base and topper units are either solid wood or bulletin board cork surface.
- All units are 32” in diameter and 102” in circumference. A combination of elements may not exceed 7.5' (90”) in height.
Additional information about and pictures of display unit components