You are here: Home
Reference and Research: Online Resources
The Iowa City Public Library offers access to a number of online resources including subscription databases (marked with ) and free web resources on a great variety of subjects. All of the premium databases we subscribe to are listed below on the right. Use the categories on the left to browse all Online Resources, including free services.
Premium Databases at ICPL
- Academic Search Elite - Multi-disciplinary database containing full-text articles from over 2,000 journals.
- America’s Obituaries & Death Notices - America’s Obituaries & Death Notices is NewsBank’s large and comprehensive collection of newspaper obituaries and death notices from around the United States.
- Ancestry - AVAILABLE ONLY WITHIN THE LIBRARY. Library Edition includes records from the U.S. census; military,court, land, and probate records; vital records; directories; passenger lists, and more. Like information available for the U.K., Canada and some European countries.
- ArticleFirst - Offers searching and browsing of articles and journal table of contents in one database.
- Biography in Context - Biographies from respected Gale Group sources. Search based birth and death year, nationality, ethnicity, occupation or gender.
- Booklist - Over 120,000 book reviews, and audiobook, video, and database reviews.
- Chilton Library - Automobile and light truck repair and maintenance.
- Contemporary Authors - Complete biographical and bibliographical information and references on more than 120,000 U.S. and international authors.
- Contemporary Literary Criticism - Extensive collection of critical essays on contemporary authors.
- CQ Weekly - Coverage of the U.S. Congress including the status of bills, votes and amendments, floor and committee activity.
- Des Moines Register - the largest circulation newspaper in the state of Iowa. Coverage from 11/27/2002 – present.
- EbscoHost Magazine Index - Multiple databases that cover a wide range of topics and which contain full-text articles, citations, and abstracts from sources such as newspapers, periodicals and newswires.
- EbscoHost Mobile - Multiple databases that cover a wide range of topics and which contain full-text articles, citations, and abstracts from sources such as newspapers, periodicals and newswires.
- Encyclopedia Britannica - Search Encyclopaedia Britannica, Britannica Student Encyclopaedia, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, and a World Atlas. Provides for searching by keyword, subject, and alphabetical listing.
- Encyclopedia of Associations - Detailed information on over 135,000 nonprofit membership organizations worldwide.
- ERIC - Published and unpublished sources on thousands of educational topics.
- GPO Monthly Catalog - Covers all types of U.S. government documents, including Congressional reports, hearings, debates, and records; judiciary materials; and documents issued by executive departments (Defense, State, Labor, Office of the President, etc.).
- Grolier Online - Includes New Book of Knowledge encyclopedia for reference and current events, Lands and Peoples for country information, and America the Beautiful for states’ information.
- Health Source – Consumer Edition - Consumer information from up to 80 health magazines.
- Health Source – Nursing/Academic Edition - Scholarly medical information from over 550 journals.
- HeritageQuest - Census data, family records and local histories and much much more.
- Iowa City Press Citizen - Iowa City’s local newspaper. Coverage from 11/13/2002 – present.
- Learning Express - Over 770 practice tests, tutorials, and eBooks. Find practice tests for the ACT, SAT, GED, ASVAB, Graduate School admissions, Civil Service, Law Enforcement, Nursing and more. The computer skills tutorials provide more than 50 easy-to-use courses to help you improve your computer skills. Programs include Internet Explorer, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and more.
- LexisNexis Library Express - Access to over 9,500 news, business, and legal sources. News and business resources can be accessed remotely from LexisNexis. Legal resources are only available in the library.
- Mango Languages - A premier resource for all your language-learning needs. Mango is an interactive tool that helps you learn Spanish, French, German, Italian, and 30 more languages. Also includes English instruction (ESL) tailored to speakers of 14 languages.
- MasterFILE Premier - MasterFILE Premier - MasterFILE Premier is a multidisciplinary database provideing full text for nearly 1,700 general reference publications with information dating as far back as 1975.
- Medline - Covers all areas of medicine, dentistry, nursing, health services, administration, nutrition, and much more.
- Morningstar Investment Research Center - includes mutual funds, stocks, and electronically traded funds. Please note that electronic use is limited to one user at a time. You will receive a message if the site is being utilized. Please try accessing again later.
- New York Times - America’s newspaper of record.
- NewsBank - The Gazette 1/1/1992 – present and a collection of 1729 U.S. newspapers and news magazines, divided by state and region.
- NewspaperArchive - Full text of local newspapers from across the country, the largest historic newspaper source online.
- Novelist Plus - Electronic readers advisory service for fiction and nonfiction. Find by author, genre, or enter a novel you liked and get recommendations for similar books.
- ProceedingsFirst - Provides tables of contents of papers presented at conferences worldwide.
- Proquest Newspapers - The Iowa City Press Citizen 11/27/2002 - present, The Des Moines Register 11/13/2002 - present , The New York Times 6/1/1980 - present, New York Times Magazine 1/5/1986 – present, The Wall Street Journal 1/2/1984 – present and a collection of national newspapers.
- Reference USA - Includes Business Database, with information on 12 million U.S. businesses, and Residential Database, with information on 120 million U.S. households.
- Social Security Death Index - AVAILABLE ONLY WITHIN THE LIBRARY. Genealogical tool lists birth and death dates, and place of death.
- Title Source 3 - Find information, books, audio cassettes, and videos. Note: You must select Anonymous Login to begin your search (look for the button at the bottom of the page).
- TopicSearch - Information on a wide variety of topics, from sources such as magazines, newspapers, biographies and book reviews.
- Universal Class - Universal Class offers over 500 online non-credit continuing education courses taught by real instructors with remote, 24/7 access so you can study in your schedule. Universal Class offers courses in Exercise and Fitness, Entrepreneurship, Arts and Music, Home and Garden Care, Cooking, Computers and Technology, Health and Medicine, Homeschooling, Job Assistance, Law and Legal, Parenting and Family, Pet and Animal Care…plus 100’s more. You can enroll in up to five courses at a time and have six months to finish each course.
- Value Line Investment Survey Online - The service includes full-page reports and analyst commentaries as well as Timeliness™ and Safety™ ranks on the approximately 1,700 stocks covered by The Value Line Investment Survey Standard Edition. Also includes the Small and Mid Cap Edition.
- Wall Street Journal - Daily newspaper published by the Dow Jones & Company that focuses on business and financial news.
- Ward's Business Directory of U.S. and Private Companies - Information on small to mid-sized private companies.
- World Almanac - Includes World Almanac and Book of Facts,World Almanac of the USA, the World Almanac of US Politics, World Almanac for Kids, and Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia.
- WorldCat - The world’s most comprehensive bibliography.
Access to subscription databases from anywhere but the Iowa City Public Library requires a current Iowa City Public Library card and a password and because of licensing restrictions are available only to residents of Iowa City and of areas covered by contracts for library service: rural Johnson County and the cities of Hills and University Heights.