You are here: Home
Reference and Research: Online Resources
Resources marked with require an Iowa City Public Library card when accessed from outside the Library, and licensing restrictions limit access to residents of Iowa City and to areas covered by contracts for library service: rural Johnson County and the cities of Hills, Lone Tree, and University Heights.
The Historical Resource at ICPL database can be found here.
Biography, History, & Genealogy
- America’s Obituaries & Death Notices - America’s Obituaries & Death Notices is NewsBank’s large and comprehensive collection of newspaper obituaries and death notices from around the United States.
- American Memory Collection - Library of Congress provides free access to historical documents, photographs, maps, multimedia, and sheet music pertinent to American culture.
- Ancestry - AVAILABLE ONLY WITHIN THE LIBRARY. Library Edition includes records from the U.S. census; military,court, land, and probate records; vital records; directories; passenger lists, and more. Like information available for the U.K., Canada and some European countries.
- Biography in Context - Biographies from respected Gale Group sources. Search based birth and death year, nationality, ethnicity, occupation or gender.
- Contemporary Authors - Complete biographical and bibliographical information and references on more than 120,000 U.S. and international authors.
- Contemporary Literary Criticism - Extensive collection of critical essays on contemporary authors.
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites - Categorized & cross-referenced index to genealogical resources on the Internet.
- Ellis Island Records - Search immigration records.
- Family Search - Genealogical service provided by The Church of Latter Day Saints containing family histories, family trees, ancestry, and census records.
- Family Search - FamilySearch - Produced by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), this site searches genealogical records worldwide including Ancestral Files, International Genealogical Index, and census and other vital statistics sources.
- HeritageQuest - Census data, family records and local histories and much much more.
- Historical Resources at ICPL - Iowa City and Johnson County historical resources in the Iowa City Public Library.
- Iowa Heritage Digital Collections - An online repository of Iowa history and culture created by bringing together in digital form documents, images, maps, finding aids, interpretive and educational materials, and other media from collections held by a wide range of organizations throughout Iowa.
- Local News Index - Produced by the Iowa City Public Library, provides indexing for local information in newspapers and magazines. It currently goes back to 1965 and continues retrospectively.
- MasterFILE Premier - MasterFILE Premier - MasterFILE Premier is a multidisciplinary database provideing full text for nearly 1,700 general reference publications with information dating as far back as 1975.
- NewspaperArchive - Full text of local newspapers from across the country, the largest historic newspaper source online.
- Social Security Death Index - AVAILABLE ONLY WITHIN THE LIBRARY. Genealogical tool lists birth and death dates, and place of death.
- United States Census Historical Resources - United States Census Historical Resources including the Statistical Abstract, Historical Statistics of the United States, Colonial Times to 1970 and the Historical Statistics of the United States, 1789 - 1945.
- Vital Statistics - How to locate birth, death, marriage and divorce records, as well as statistics on these events.