You are here: Home
Reference and Research: Online Resources
Resources marked with require an Iowa City Public Library card when accessed from outside the Library, and licensing restrictions limit access to residents of Iowa City and to areas covered by contracts for library service: rural Johnson County and the cities of Hills, Lone Tree, and University Heights.
The Historical Resource at ICPL database can be found here.
- eHow - eHow.com is an online community dedicated to providing visitors the ability to research, share, and discuss solutions and tips for completing day-to-day tasks and projects. Includes more than 1.5 million articles and 150,000 high-quality videos.
- Encyclopedia Britannica - Search Encyclopaedia Britannica, Britannica Student Encyclopaedia, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, and a World Atlas. Provides for searching by keyword, subject, and alphabetical listing.
- Google Image Search - Component of the popular search engine that solely searches the image content of webpages.
- Google Scholar - Use as an index to search scholarly literature from a variety of disciplines and sources, including books, abstracts, theses, citations, and peer-reviewed journals.
- Grolier Online - Includes New Book of Knowledge encyclopedia for reference and current events, Lands and Peoples for country information, and America the Beautiful for states’ information.
- Information Please Almanac - A compendium of statistics and up-to-date facts and figures, on everything you need to know.
- Iowa Maps - Find state, county, city maps from the Iowa Department of Transportation.
- Library of Congress - The Librarys mission is to support the Congress in fulfilling its constitutional duties and to further the progress of knowledge and creativity for the benefit of the American people. (for teens)
- Merriam-Webster - Online collegiate dictionary and thesaurus.
- My Virtual Reference Desk - Megasite contains thousands of reference works.
- World Almanac - Includes World Almanac and Book of Facts,World Almanac of the USA, the World Almanac of US Politics, World Almanac for Kids, and Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia.
- WorldCat - The world’s most comprehensive bibliography.