You are here: Home
Reference and Research: Online Resources
Resources marked with require an Iowa City Public Library card when accessed from outside the Library, and licensing restrictions limit access to residents of Iowa City and to areas covered by contracts for library service: rural Johnson County and the cities of Hills and University Heights.
The Historical Resource at ICPL database can be found here.
Health & Science
- American Hospital Directory - Directory of over 6000 hospitals.
- American Medical Association - Includes medical information and a doctor finder.
- Best Hospital Finder - Rankings from U.S.News & World Report.
- DocFinder - Information on doctors, including board actions.
- Health Info Iowa - The best health information source for Iowans.
- Health Source – Consumer Edition - Consumer information from up to 80 health magazines.
- Health Source – Nursing/Academic Edition - Scholarly medical information from over 550 journals.
- Iowa HealthCare Collaborative - Provides medical data to improve hospital and clinic standards. Contains information on patient safety and statewide healthcare quality.
- Medline - Covers all areas of medicine, dentistry, nursing, health services, administration, nutrition, and much more.
- MedlinePlus - Provides access to extensive information about specific diseases and conditions and also has links to consumer health information from the National Institutes of Health, dictionaries, lists of hospitals and physicians, health information in Spanish and other languages, and clinical trials.
- NASA - News, links, mission schedules,images and more.
- Science Daily - Science news and feature articles seven days a week.
- Science.gov - A gateway to authoritative selected science information provided by US Government science agencies, including research and development results.
- World Health Organization - Health reports worldwide, including disease outbreaks, statistics, and newsletters.