You are here: Home
Reference and Research: Online Resources
Resources marked with require an Iowa City Public Library card when accessed from outside the Library, and licensing restrictions limit access to residents of Iowa City and to areas covered by contracts for library service: rural Johnson County and the cities of Hills and University Heights.
The Historical Resource at ICPL database can be found here.
Magazines & Newspapers
- Academic Search Elite - Multi-disciplinary database containing full-text articles from over 2,000 journals.
- ArticleFirst - Offers searching and browsing of articles and journal table of contents in one database.
- CQ Weekly - Coverage of the U.S. Congress including the status of bills, votes and amendments, floor and committee activity.
- Des Moines Register - the largest circulation newspaper in the state of Iowa. Coverage from 11/27/2002 – present.
- EbscoHost Magazine Index - Multiple databases that cover a wide range of topics and which contain full-text articles, citations, and abstracts from sources such as newspapers, periodicals and newswires.
- EbscoHost Mobile - Multiple databases that cover a wide range of topics and which contain full-text articles, citations, and abstracts from sources such as newspapers, periodicals and newswires.
- GPO Monthly Catalog - Covers all types of U.S. government documents, including Congressional reports, hearings, debates, and records; judiciary materials; and documents issued by executive departments (Defense, State, Labor, Office of the President, etc.).
- Iowa City Press Citizen - Iowa City’s local newspaper. Coverage from 11/13/2002 – present.
- LexisNexis Library Express - Access to over 9,500 news, business, and legal sources. News and business resources can be accessed remotely from LexisNexis. Legal resources are only available in the library.
- Local News Index - Produced by the Iowa City Public Library, provides indexing for local information in newspapers and magazines. It currently goes back to 1965 and continues retrospectively.
- MasterFILE Premier - MasterFILE Premier is a multidisciplinary database provideing full text for nearly 1,700 general reference publications with information dating as far back as 1975.
- New York Times - America’s newspaper of record.
- NewsBank - The Gazette 1/1/1992 – present and a collection of 1729 U.S. newspapers and news magazines, divided by state and region.
- NewsLink - Newspapers from the United States and around the world.
- NewspaperArchive - Full text of local newspapers from across the country, the largest historic newspaper source online.
- ProceedingsFirst - Provides tables of contents of papers presented at conferences worldwide.
- Proquest Newspapers - The Iowa City Press Citizen 11/27/2002 - present, The Des Moines Register 11/13/2002 - present , The New York Times 6/1/1980 - present, New York Times Magazine 1/5/1986 – present, The Wall Street Journal 1/2/1984 – present and a collection of national newspapers.
- TopicSearch - Information on a wide variety of topics, from sources such as magazines, newspapers, biographies and book reviews.
- Wall Street Journal - Daily newspaper published by the Dow Jones & Company that focuses on business and financial news.