Zinio Digital Magazines
ICPL'S digital magazine stand
- Read directly from your device or computer
- More than 150 magazines
- Available 24/7
- Available for both computers and mobile devices.
- Due to licensing restrictions access is limited to residents of Iowa City and areas covered by contracts for Library services: rural Johnson County and the cities of Hills and University Heights.
- Service requires a valid email address.
- Service requires a valid Library card and password. (Need help getting a card?)
Sign Up To Use Zinio
When first accessing Zinio, you will be asked to create an account with Recorded Books.
Once you have selected a magazine, you will be asked to create a second account with Zinio. Please note this is not the same account you created when first accessing the site. Please use the same email address and password for both accounts.
Download the Zinio App
You can read digital magazines on your smartphone and tablet in addition to your computer. Download the Zinio app for iTunes, Android, Windows 8, or Kindle Fire. You can also download the Zinio Desktop Reader for reading on a personal computer.
Tips for Mobile Users
- Choose a password that's easy to tap in on your device's keyboard. If you are checking out magazines and downloading them on the go, you will have to enter that password twice, so the easier, the better.
- Checking out a bunch of magazines at once? Make sure “Enable Auto Downloads” is off (unchecked) so that you can download them in the order you want for faster viewing.
- If you're using Zinio to only read magazines you've downloaded through the Library, set the default home screen to “Library.” Here's how:
- Go to Settings tab
- Under “General,” choose “Set Application Home Screen”
- Select the radio button for “Library”
- Trying to save on your mobile data plan? Download through wifi only.
- Go to Settings tab
- Under “General,” make sure “Download on Mobile Data Network” is off (unchecked).
- Is your device running short on storage? Delete old issues by opening the Library tab, which looks like an open book.
- Go to “Manage Library”
- Make sure “Remove” is underlined
- Hit the X in the center, answer “continue” when prompted to double-check your intention
- Tap “Done” to exit out of the “Manage Library”
- Adjust other settings to your liking. “Keep screen on during reading” is an especially helpful one.
- If you are using the app on multiple devices and your account doesn't seem to be syncing to show your latest checkouts, try logging off and log back in to see if that loads your newest checkouts.
Still have questions? Call the Library at 319-356-5200, stop by the Info desk on the 2nd floor, or visit ICPL Tech Help in the Computer Lab (Mondays 10 a.m. to noon, Tuesdays noon to 4 p.m., and Wednesdays 10 a.m. to noon).