How to Get a Library Card
Any Iowa resident may obtain a Library card. You may pre-register for a Library Card or visit the Library's Help Desk in person. A photo ID and Iowa address verification are required for a Library Card.
A parent or guardian must show a photo ID and proof of Iowa address for a child under 13 to receive a full privilege card. Children 13 and under, visiting the Library without parent/guardian present, may be issued a Provisional Card until parent/guardian is notified.
Preferred forms of identification:
- Iowa Driver's License or Identification Card
- U.S. Government Issued ID Cards including Military identification
- University or School Identification
- Johnson County Community Identification Card
If your current address is not listed on the photo identification, please bring one of the following documents along with your ID:
- Utility bill (phone, electric, water)
- Official mail with a recent postmark
Applicants lacking proof of Iowa address may be eligible for a Provisional Card if an Iowa address can be verified or an In-House Card if an address cannot be verified.
For additional information, please consult with a Library staff member.