Special Reading Resources
TumbleBooks An online collection of animated, talking picture books, audiobooks and ebooks for children. Includes picture books in Spanish and other languages. TumbleBooks can be accessed from any computer with an Internet connection. No password is necessary.
The International Children's Digital Library Hundreds of books for all ages of kids, from picture books to novels written in several different languages, can be viewed and read at this amazing website.
Special Author & Book Info
- Contemporary Authors Biographical information on over 100,000 authors of books for children and adults. You must live in Iowa City, Hills, University Heights, Lone Tree, or rural Johnson County and have an ICPL library card to use this resource.
- Juvenile Series and Sequels A great resource by Mid-Continent Public Library for finding which book comes next.
- Novelist Plus Electronic readers advisory service for fiction and nonfiction. Find by author, genre, or enter a novel you liked and get recommendations for similar books.
Reading and Writing Sites For Kids
- PBS Kids Get wild about reading! Have fun with Arthur, Between the Lions, The Electric Company, Super Why & much more!
- Scholastic Place Looking for Geronimo Stilton, Goosebumps or the 39 Clues? They're all here!
- Spelling City Spelling resources such as worksheets, games and Dolch word lists.
- Starfall Learn to Read For beginning readers, this excellent interactive website has narrated short stories on two levels that use phonics and games to help kids learn to read. Printable activity worksheets based on the stories are available to be downloaded.
- Watch.Connect.Read Exploring Children's Literature through Book Trailers
Authors & Series Websites