Getting A Card
Library cards are issued immediately if you have photo identification and proof of current residential address at the time of application. A Post Office box is not sufficient address.
Mail may be used as proof of address if it has been postmarked within four weeks of the current date.
Persons eligible for temporary cards must provide their temporary local address and their permanent residence address.
Who is Eligible?
- Residents of Iowa City
- Persons owning property in Iowa City
- Residents who live or own property in areas covered by contracts for library service: unincorporated (rural) Johnson County and the cities of Hills and University Heights
- Persons living within the service area of an Iowa library approved for reciprocal borrowing through the Open Access Program. Check at the Help Desk or call 319.356.5200 for a full listing of participating libraries.
- Persons without a permanent address in this service area and who will be here from one to six weeks are eligible for temporary cards. Temporary borrowers may have only two items checked out at a time.
Online Card Application
You may apply online for a library card. Completing an application online will save you time when you come to the Library to get your card, allow you to place holds on library materials, and use a limited selection of online reference resources that require a library card number for access.
Assign Your Password
Once you have received your library card, click the button below and follow the instructions to assign yourself a password.
A password allows you to:
- Place your own holds
- Renew borrowed materials
- Access online subscription databases from outside the Library
Forget Your Password?
Click the button below to reset your password online. The automated reset uses the email address in your account. If you do not have an email address registered with the Library, please call 319.356.5200 during Library hours to ask for assistance.